Puzzletober 2026: Apple
PRELUDE
A swordsman and an archer travel deep within an apple orchard. The swordsman says, "Felix, you know as well as I that the cave is countless paces behind us. When would you tell me where we're going?" The archer replies, "Now, since we're here. We've come to get you a new weapon." They stop as soon as they enter the glade. The swordsman perks up a bit and claims, "Tell me it's an enchanted blade, capable of piercing the strongest of armors, and I'll be respectful." Felix says, "It is enchanted, Renn. The questmaster said as much." Renn asks, "The questmaster? I was there with you; she said nothing of this... and why would it still be here, anyhow?" In a dash of realization, Felix states, "I went on my own terms to someone different from that woman who wanted the map. He said nobody else wants it." Renn sulks and says, "I care not for lame enchantments," to which Felix assures him: "It is not terrible. And, knowing your style, the better options are all taken."
Inside the glade, a few scattered trees still stand. They bear their spring harvest. Along two non-opposing sides of the glade, the trees are marked suspiciously with tallies. Felix says, "It looks to be like Tents. The questmaster also gave me a clue: 'The tool is buried with the core.' Whatever that means. Please, call upon that muse of yours and see what gets divined." Renn closes his eyes and concentrates.
Rules: Combine the information from the prelude with the picture to determine where to dig.
